Opes Capital is a boutique corporate finance advisory and investment firm located in Johannesburg, South Africa. Since our inception in 2007, we have built a strong reputation for independence and excellence – a reputation established by the passion and integrity we demonstrate throughout our dealings with clients. The strong emphasis we place on partnership has proven tremendously successful with clients in assisting them with deal and project execution.
Our expertise, combined with our extensive access to local and international capital networks, positions Opes Capital strategically to give our clients expert guidance with regards to deal origination, capital raising, mergers and acquisitions (M&A) advisory and project implementation. Opes Capital fulfills an important role in a market where there are few advisory businesses servicing medium-sized companies and their associated transactions. Whereas these businesses often find themselves underserviced by larger institutions, our business size, approach, and fee structure allows companies and owners with limited capital resources to access our first class, experienced team at all times.
We take pride in our independence – this freedom from conflicts of interest means we are fully focused on accomplishing our clients’ objectives.
- Established in 2007
- Focus on a range of business sectors and industries
- Track record of successfully executing transactions and developing projects
- Small, experienced, first-class team
- Geographic and specialist sector expertise
- Access to extensive local and international capital networks
Opes Capital was established in 2007 by Phillipe Lalieu and Robert van Zyl when their company, the South African arm of a Dubai-based investment house, was bought out by a leading international investment bank.
Formerly the principals of Invescape Growth Partnership SA and Bright Equity Infrastructure Management, the founders had a combined R500 million of funds under management, bringing a wealth of experience to the business.
Opes Capital started with various corporate finance advisory mandates for the manufacturing, infrastructure and mining industries, and over time our focus and interest has increasingly shifted towards a broader range of sectors and investment opportunities. In addition to traditional M&A transactional advisory services, Opes Capital also engages in originating, executing and jointly investing in exciting and promising projects.
Since inception, Opes Capital has successfully executed more than 15 M&A, private equity, venture capital and capital raising transactions in a number of different industries.
The Opes Capital Distinction
At Opes Capital our aim is to give clients the particular benefit of working with a small, attentive team that possesses the technical excellence of larger investment companies, but with a dedication, energy and attention that is often lacking when dealing with larger institutions.
- Opes Capital is fully independent from finance sources and other service providers
- Our clients get the attention of the full, experienced team on all engagements
- The small team structure allows us to be efficient and adaptive
- We have direct access to local and international capital markets
- As a specialist team, Opes Capital brings experience and focus to projects
- Our business size and structure allows for flexible fee structures
- Our approach is relationship-based and long-term in nature, rather than short-term and transaction-based